Zoran Jolevski, Ph.D.
Zoran Jolevski, Ph.D. Minister of Defence in the Government of the Republic of Macedonia
Born on 16 July 1959 in Skopje.
Since 12 March 2007, he has been the Ambassador of the Republic of Macedonia to the United States. On 22 October 2010, he was also appointed as a non-resident and plenipotentiary Ambassador of the Republic of Macedonia to Mexico and on 6 April 2011 he was appointed as the non-resident and plenipotentiary Ambassador of the Republic of Macedonia to Brazil. On 20 October 2011, he was appointed as a permanent representative of the Republic of Macedonia to the Organization of American States.
In the period 1 January 2000 to 1 June 2004, he was the Secretary General of the Cabinet of the President of the Republic of Macedonia. According to the Systematization of the Cabinet of the President of the Republic of Macedonia, Zoran Jolevski, being the Secretary General, was responsible for strategic analyses, providing support to the President’s priorities, issuing individual and collective instructions to the Cabinet staff for implementation of the President’s goals, etc.
Within the period 1 January 1988 – 1 January 2000, he worked in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Between 15 October 1994 to 1 September 1998, he was the First Secretary in the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Macedonia to Geneva. In the period November 1995 – March 1996, by Government decision, he was responsible for drafting the Memorandum of the Republic of Macedonia for acceding to the World Trade Organization.
Other work experience
Within the period 9 October 2006 to 12 March 2007, he was Chief of Party of a project by called Macedonian Business Environment Activity, Booz Allen Hamilton, Washington, funded by the USAID.
In the period 1 June 2004 to 15 March 2006, he was Chief of Party of the project “WTO Compliance Activity”, Booz Allen and Hamilton, a projected funded by the USAID.
Major negotiating functions:
- In November 2008, he was appointed as the Chief Negotiator for the name issue under the auspices of the UN;
- In 2000 and 2001, by order of President Trajkovski, he led the negotiations for reestablishment of the diplomatic relations with People’s Republic of China;
- Within the period 2000-2004, the Government of the Republic of Macedonia appointed him as the Deputy National Negotiator and a special advisor to the Minister of Economy for accession of the Republic of Macedonia to the World Trade Organization;
- From 1992 to 1994, he was secretary of the Coordination Group for the succession issues and the Economic Working Group at the International Conference on former Yugoslavia.
Major international functions:
- Vice Chairman of the Committee on Trade of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (2005 – 2007)
- Member of the Team of Specialists on Internet Enterprise Development – United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (2000 – 2005)
- Member of the Bureau of the Commission of UNCTAD on Foreign Investment (1998/1999);
Membership to Management boards of non-governmental organizations
- Member of the Management Board of Macedonia 2025 (2007- )
- Founder and first president of the Institute for Economic Strategies and International Affairs “Ohrid” (2006 – 2007)
- Member of the Presidency of the Euro – Atlantic Club in Macedonia (2005- 2007)
- Member of the Strategic Research Centre of the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts (2006 – 2007)
- Chairman of the Management Board of the International Foundation “Boris Trajkovski” (2004-2005)
- Member of the Committee “E-Macedonia for All” founded and managed by the President of the Republic of Macedonia (2000-2004)
- Member of the Presidency of the Macedonian – Japanese Association of Friendship (1990-1994)
- Member of the Presidency of the Tourist Association of Skopje (1988-1990)
- Member of the Presidency of the Swimming Club “Vardar”
Zoran Jolevski holds a Ph.D. in International Economy which he received from the Faculty of Economy at the Ss. Cyril and Methodius University of Skopje in February 2001. In 1991, he received a Master of Science in Law (International Trade Law) from the Faculty of Law in Skopje. He finished his undergraduate studies and earned a bachelor degree on economics at the Faculty on Economics in Skopje in 1983 and in 1993 he received his postgraduate diploma on international relations and development from the International Institute of Social Studies in the Hague – the Netherlands. In 1994, he attended the IV Specialized Trade Policy Course of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) in Geneva – Switzerland.
In January 2007, D-r Jolevski became Professor at the European University in Skopje teaching International Economic Relations, Foreign Trade and Economic Policy of the European Union. On 9 July 2003, he was elected as an associate professor.
Minister Jolevski is an author of two books:
1. “World Trading System” Matica, Skopje, 2006
2. “Multinational Corporations: A Challenge of Contemporary Economy” Еconomy Press, Skopje 1997
He is the editor – in – chief of the following publications:
1. “Report on the Foreign Trade of the Republic of Macedonia for 2005 and 2006“ – chief editor and author of several chapters, Skopje, 2005 and 2006
2. Mandate for Leadership: Principles for Governing Macedonia in the period 2006-2010, chief editor, Institute for Economic Strategies and International Affairs “Ohrid”, Skopje, October 2006